Monday, July 11, 2022

ANY TRAVEL MAGAZINE

  I haven’t been able to write lately. No WIFI up on Mesa Verde at the camp site. No signal at the registration/gift shop/restaurant/laundry/showers either. So we settled for a 20 amp electric hookup. Moved on: the drive from Dolores, Colorado to the Telluride turn off was awesome. We went around Red Mountain; been there, done that, took what I hope turn out to be good (better) photographs. I’ll do some editing tomorrow.
Rain in Ouray was uncomfortable but dry by 9:00 a.m. In 1972 & 73 I drove tour jeeps full of tourists for San Juan Scenic Jeep Tours in Ouray. I stopped there this morning just to see if anybody was still alive. The old, old ones either died or dropped out. The guy in charge remembered me and treated me like a VIP. He offered; we’ve got space on the morning ride up to Yankee Boy & Governor Basins, do you want to come along. I twisted Sharon’s arm and we went. Great ride. It never occurred to me that I would make that ride again. Took photos of Columbines & Indian Paintbrush. The big, panoramic landscapes never capture the feel so I look for smaller stuff just on a grander stage. I can find a photo of a 14,000 ft mountain in any travel magazine. I want things that only I can get and I have to be there to begin with. 
We fell behind schedule and arrived late in Gunnison, Colorado in time to devour a sandwich and set up camp. She turned in at 7:30. I did that too in Ouray last night and woke up at midnight; went to the clubhouse and did some rewriting. I’ll stay up tonight. Getting up to pee is one thing, getting up because you went down too early is another. Getting up and out of the teardrop in the middle of the dark is a struggle even when it goes smooth. We are packed in pretty tight at the Tall Texan Campground and even if everybody else is sawing logs, you imagine they are watching you half naked, waddling to the bath house. Then getting back in and under the covers is an even bigger mess. Sleeping space is 42 in. x 6 ft 2 with no wiggle room. Two of us leave none of that precious commodity. 
We will be here for 4 days so nothing pressing tomorrow. I have lots of photos to edit and that takes time. Sharon finished her book so no telling how she will busy herself. It is late enough now, after 9:00 and it will take me 15-20 min to potty and try to get under covers without spoiling Sharon’s night.

No comments:

Post a Comment