Thursday, July 7, 2022

ANIMAS RIVER GORGE

  It has been a full day. Up early at the motel in Durango, CO, catch the 8:30 a.m. train (Narrow Gage Steam Excursion) to Silverton, CO, up the Animas River gorge. Traveling with Martin & Joan Strand. Martin and I had lockers next to or nearly next to each other all four years of high school. He is retired from his career in emergency medicine (MD) and we are having a good time. I retired from hanging out with teenagers so long ago I can’t really remember how I did my job. The ride up the gorge; everywhere you point the camera there is a photo crying to be taken and sooner than later I hope, I realize I can’t take all the pictures that demand my attention. 
In Silverton we checked into the Avon Hotel, no way to describe it other than the 120 year old. Its 3-story red brick building has more features and old stuff than one could imagine and I am loving staying up late just discovering things. I thought it was time for me to have a Pagan communion, time to renew the spirit and my companions went along with it. I picked up a baa of milk chocolate Kisses and a couple of sample bottles of brandy. I read some Carl Sagan quotes, rolled chocolate around on the tongue and sipped brandy. It has never had a bad effect. 
I am still up, doing what I do. Sharon thinks I’m overdoing and should be resting for tomorrow but I’m still processing today. The hotel is full of young people (30’s) talking like I did in the 70’s and building up a sleep deficit. They (my companions) went to bed agreeing to sleep in rather than set an alarm but I will set one for 6:45 anyway. Too much computer work to do. But I am ready for a shower and such. Tomorrow promises as much or more stuff to see and do. Pooh (that’s me) is a happy camper tonight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment