Wednesday, July 6, 2022

OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD

  No fireworks, no marching bands, noting to suggest it was anything other than a calm precursor to a hot, windy day on the prairie. July 5, still marooned, in a state of flux with the broke-down truck in the shop but no news yet if they can fix it today. The problem had been diagnosed to the starter motor. As I recall, they don’t fix starter motors, they replace them. But the news was good. They had it finished by 10:00 a.m. and the price was less painful than expected.
On the road again by 10:40. One wrong turn getting through/around Colorado Springs turned out to be a half hour with Garmin GPS taking us through neighborhoods and roundabouts. Arrived in South Fork, Colorado with time enough to split an order of enchiladas, rice & beans before checking in at the campground. I forget how fast those complimentary chips & dip go down. I know I pay for them in the end but not on the bill and they don’t ask if you want them. It was raining, really coming down for us. Not much to set up with ‘Yoder’ the camper. The rain lasted well into the night, we got freshened up at the Club House and we rediscovered the condition; Age Related Pretzel Syndrome crawling into the hatch size door. 
I had to get up for a necessary protocol at 3:45 and the rain was gone, nothing but clear sky and the starry night. I had forgotten how the night sky is supposed to look. Stars looked close enough to reach out and touch. Today (July 6) is a short one. Just a couple of hours to Durango where we will take the coward’s way out; opt for people side room and private bathroom. Tomorrow we take the Durango - Silverton Rail Road up to Silverton; off to see the wizard. We meet my old (we’re all old) long time high school classmate & his wife tonight and spend two days trying to stay awake. Martin made a career in the hospital Emergency Rooms from California to Colorado as an ER surgeon and still works a few shifts a month. I haven’t seen them since 2015 on my way back from Alaska. I stayed with them for a long weekend with a couple of day trips. Sharon has never met them but she takes well to my friends, always has.

No comments:

Post a Comment