Monday, July 4, 2022

MORE PRAIRIE

  Our first wakeup in Limon, Colorado was good. Anytime I wake up I be thankful. Last night we didn’t know if or when the truck would get fixed. The truck is safe in the mechanic’s parking lot and we are winding down our holiday at the LaQuinta Inn nearby. The motel is new, everything works but I was anxious about whether the breakfast will be a carbohydrate binge. It was a pleasant surprise with sausage, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit and the universal waffle machine, real orange juice and fresh apples & bananas. I’m a believer.
I called the emergency number on the shop door (Interstate Diesel Mechanics); got a message to leave a message and another number which I took as a back door to the real person. He answered, listened to my story and said it would be the first job on his list in the morning (July 5). He thought it would be done in the morning and we should be on our way before noon. Our drive tomorrow is almost 5 hours but that is doable and hope to be camping again in South Fork Colorado tomorrow night. 
Killing a day in Limon can be comfortable inside the motel with AC and television or go for a walk. It hit 96 and the wind cranked up again. I went out for a walk but didn’t stay at it long. I had to use the chin strap on my floppy hat. The exercise felt good but I forgot to apply sun screen. We did some laundry in the LaQuinta laundromat and I went out for another walk; not exciting stuff but getting through the day without any damage is a win - win.  
If something (anything) spoils the day tomorrow I have a backup plan. I can rent a car here, drive to Durango, do the Narrow Gage Train ride up to Silverton, spend the night at the Avon Hotel as planned and train back down to Durango on the 8th. That would give us a slam-bam drive back here to Limon to get the truck & camper. There would still be two weeks of itinerary in place before we have to come back (down) to lower elevation and the mundane life of midwesterners. 


No comments:

Post a Comment