Saturday, July 16, 2022

FAIR IS FAIR

  By definition, ‘Vacation’ means an extended period of rest & relaxation. When I look up ‘Roadtrip’ there is no mention of either rest or relaxation. The thought of rest and relax never came up in the planning stage of this roadtrip. But after a week with unexpected breakdown and being on the wrong end of the leash, I’ve taken to naps and sleepy before normal bedtime. 
We (Sharon Flanagan) and I haven’t been on one of these trips in four years and those years have come and gone at a cost. We made up most of our time only to lose a day in Ouray, Colorado. I took a chance there might still be someone alive at San Juan Scenic Jeep Tours that I might recognize. I drove open top jeeps full of tourists in the early 1970’s there. San Juan is still in business. A kid who worked in the shop is running it now and did recognize me. His morning trip had empty seas; he invited us to go along and we stole the show. 
He asked what my favorite half day trip was and that is where he took us, to Yankeeboy and Governor Basins. Good photos, lots of ‘remember when . . .’ and Sharon kept scooting to the high side. We couldn’t afford that ride. In ’73 the ride cost $15 and the driver got the first fifteen. Two half-day trips was a $30 day. With nine passengers (full) tips could push that up to $45 or $50 for a day’s work.
    We were a day late in Gunnison that night but spent four days basically with rest and recovery. Cool nights and dry air; sleeping late in the tear-drop camper came easy. Gunnison is nearly 8,000 ft. elevation you discover ‘chill’ sometime in the night and make a cocoon of covers you had push down to the foot on going to sleep. We met nice people, the restrooms were good but a long walk in the wee hours. Still, I understand that all trailer hitches were designed to shed pee in the dark of the night. Murphy’s law; on the last day you discover the great coffee shop (with toasted bagels and raspberry muffins).
We are trying to stay up until it gets dark tonight. In Fairplay, (South Park) Colorado they are having their County Fair. We went late this morning as the girls were qualifying with their barrel racers. Little girls (maybe 3) were making the circuit with a parent or older sibling trotting along side to steady them in the saddle. Again, after two days we get the word on the good coffee shop. That will be out (get out of town) duty as we are headed for Georgetown, CO, on Interstate 70, below Loveland Basin Ski area. 
We are treating ourselves to a motel in Georgetown, then spending two days with our friends (my former classmate Martin Strand) & his wife Joan. We all did the narrow gage train from Durango to Silverton last week and they asked us to stay with them before I put Sharon on the jet liner back to New Orleans. What I’ll do on my own after that is hard to say. I have bills to pay and ripe tomatoes waiting but that ‘Chill & Cocoon’ thing is hard to resist and I can pay bills over the phone. If the birds and squirrels should leave me a few tomatoes then I guess fair is fair. 


No comments:

Post a Comment