Friday, July 22, 2022

SUM-SUM-SUMMER TIME

  The campout got off to a shaky start and tonight it is all history but the shaky didn’t last and I don’t know how much more of the mountains I could survive. Our schedule was blown up on the 2nd day and the last day was chiseled in stone. Sharon’s plane would leave Denver International on July 20 (noonish) with or without her so we had to be creative as that deadline approached. Our friends from the Narrow Gauge adventure told us in parting, “If you come out on Interstate 70 and have some time to hang out, we don’t have any plans.” To me, that’s an invitation and it worked to perfection. So we stayed with Martin & Joan Strand in Evergreen, rested, ate very well and tightened up a long standing friendship. 
Packed, cleaned up, well fed, hugged and bid bon voyage we were on the downhill chute into Denver. I dropped (didn’t really drop anything), stacked suit cases to roll through the terminal before 9:00. Her plane took off on time about the time I rolled through Limon, Colorado. I remember in 1973 when we moved from Western Colorado to SW Michigan. I watched in my side mirrors as the mountains disappeared into a sinking horizon thinking, I will never get over the mountains, and I never did. I came to love Michigan and the big lake but you don’t have to stop loving either one just because it is far away.
Cool mornings at 8.000 feet are easy to take. The sun shines and the world is right even if I have to make believe. Fifteen hours across the plaines on a 100+ day is a grim reminder that my job changes to meet the need. Retirement leaves me a lot of wiggle room but sooner or later I pay the piper.  But I’ve slept late and taken naps enough to face all the chores that require my attention. I hear the heat wave is largely due to an ongoing El Niño in the Pacific. Regardless, it takes longer for me to bounce back after long days behind the wheel. Tomorrow will be a new day. My alarm is set for 6:15 and I may hit the snooze but if I want to get stuff done with tomorrow’s (103 forecast) it will need to be early. 
I’m thinking about Arizona in January. Thinking about Canada’s maritime provinces next summer. That’s how it gets started. If you want the wheels to go ‘round you need to get started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment