Tuesday, September 1, 2020

I FAIL TO SEE. . .: DAY 167



Take a second here before you skip ahead; think about two words. What is the connection, a relationship? How are they alike, how different. Does it matter? The words are, ‘Humor’ and ‘Irony’. I often find my stream of consciousness stalled, weighing them for the best fit with my narrative. It is not like I don’t know their meanings, I do. But they are both words I like and one will most certainly serve the purpose better than the other. 
Lexicographers are people who specialize in the making of dictionaries. Once, at a formal dinner I sat next to a dignified woman whose place card read, ‘Alice N. Undurlan: Lexicographer’. I inquired and she explained how detail oriented her work was. Etymology requires one to research a word’s origin, trace it back through time to its taproot, across different cultures to how it has evolved into modern day usage. At the time she was dealing with a study similar to my own ‘humor’-‘irony’ quandary. 
It seems, both ‘Asshole’ and ‘Butthole’ refer to the same pelvic orifice still, they are often used as metaphors with slightly different connotations. ‘Asshole’, presumes a person who is not only capable but inherently prone to premeditated malice. On the other hand, ‘Butthole’ refers to characters who are  equally capable of offensive conduct. But  there is a measure of compassion and forgiveness as such acts tend to reflect unintended rather than premeditated wrongdoing.  I was so impressed! 
Alice leaned over, turned my place card to her advantage. She read, ‘SycamoreStory: StoryTeller’. Out of curiosity or courtesy, I couldn’t tell, she reciprocated my interest. I began as Storytellers must, “Once upon a time . . .” I shared with her the ‘Humor’-‘Irony’ divide. Humor is like a coin with two sides. It can exploit untimely misfortune (slipping on a banana peel) or as an unexpected twist in the plot (wrong person answers the door). Humor can even unfold as double entendre play on words. The intention is to entertain without offending. ‘Irony’ can have a humorous affect but of necessity requires an obvious or implied contradiction. The intent is opposite of what the language suggests, often as sarcasm, as with someone’s abysmal failure; “Wasn’t that brilliant!” 
I told her a short story about the coming election in November. “At the top of the ticket in both major parties we have on the one side a bumbling but forgivable Butthole. On the other side there is an unforgivable, malicious Asshole.” Alice nodded, “You must be delighted!” Ah, I thought; Irony for sure, maybe even sarcasm.  I said, “I fail to see any humor in that.” She chuckled politely and replied, “You would if you were Canadian like me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment