Friday, February 4, 2022

SKIP-SKIP-SKIPPING

  Once upon a time; there was a time when talking about the weather seemed to me like such a waste of time. We’ve got weather today, yes, and we’ll have weather again tomorrow. I’ve got things to do either way, wether or not. I suppose that “What do you make of this rain, eh?” it offers a convenient way into a conversation and that is fine. It is certainly less contentious than “Do you still beat your wife and cheat on your income taxes?” Maybe the weather dialogue is; maybe it has always been relevant and it was just me finding fault when it wasn’t there. Judgmental hubris and youth go together without much planning or effort. After all, weather is always a major factor in both what we do and how we go about it. 
I was always content leaning into the moment and that includes the weather. Make hay while the sun shines, take a nap in the shade. At the time I had more things to do than I had time to play with. Now that equation has gone upside down, not that I can accumulate more time just not too many demands on it. Long-story-short, winter is really wearing me thin. Playing outside in the snow used to be fun but I was strong and fast. Time has a way of undoing that equation as well. My mother was a strong voice for making the most of today, the day that the Lord had given us. When I wanted to be older she cautioned me not to wish my life away. Still, looking over my shoulder, wishing time to come back around comes easy, a rerun of busy-busy youth. 
Thank you Mom; I am so happy for today but when those first spring buds open up on the redbuds and the willows I’ll have  all the more reason to be smiling. When the furnace stops running all night and I can open the window, I will have another something to say ‘Thank you’ for. If and when Covid gives us a break I can think about timely travel to warmer climes. Susan Tedeschi (Tedeschi-Trucks Band) my favorite band, easy to find on YouTube. She sings a wonderful song, ‘Everybody’s Talkin’ and it tells us; “I’m going where the sun keeps shining, through the pouring rain; Going where the weather suits my clothes . . .” I catch myself humming, even mouthing the words. “Banking off of the northeast winds, Sailing on a summer breeze; skipping over the ocean like a stone . . .” 
I remember a February not so long ago in a little beach town down in South Baja with sea turtles, fish tacos and fresh avocados. That winter felt more like a reward than an assignment. I’m not feeling that right now but hope is a great motivator and I can always spend from that account. 

“Skip-skip-skipping over the ocean like a stone . . .”

No comments:

Post a Comment