Sunday, February 27, 2022

WHAT IS WISE & WHAT IS NOT

  A most rewarding aspect of writing and sharing this blog is that my readership is small. In some ways they are Godlike, at least the forgiving part. We may not agree on issues or beliefs but I have never been harshly judged for it. So I can sit at the computer and beg any question, I can question any idea, challenge beliefs and I can change my mind when I feel the need. God fearing people are uncomfortable with that kind of latitude but then I don’t fear God. I have no reason to believe he is the creator. I would think him a human creation not unlike Zeus and Homer Simpson. The human brain has a peculiar neural circuit that cannot accommodate the full knowledge and certainly not the consequence of our inherent mortality (a finite life span). God is the mental buffer (drug) that diffuses that suffering. It is painless, legal and respectable. Evolution has left us hardwired to Believe something (maybe anything) that gives us a purpose, and some eternal possibility. How we meet that need depends on lots of experience, how we derive meaning from it and who we listen to. I have fallen in with Joseph Campbell who said, “Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it with us to this life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.” My little audience has given me license to go wherever the spirit leads and if nothing else, they can wander with me without getting their feet wet. Thank you!
It is Sunday and I went to church today, in the flesh. My vaccination status (2 + Boost)  has been documented, I wear a new KN95 surgical mask and we keep safe distance from each other. The sermon dealt both directly and indirectly with abortion. It was titled, “My Body, My Choice.” Not all of us agree on every issue but our compass needles all respond to a worldly force rather than a Faith based tradition. Still, I didn’t hear anybody defending the rights of a human embryo. We agree to disagree when it serves the greater good and It is very important that we all share the blessings of being embraced together within this community. So a church of unbelievers should not be a surprise, not even to a pseudo submissive, come to Jesus crowd. 
Changing the subject: (Deleted section) I just filled a page with grim stuff that I needed to vent but no one wants to hear. So I select and delete like it was never there. I would rather think about what is wise and what is not? Who knows the difference between wisdom and clever speech that is contrived to meet a self serving bias. If there is such a thing as wisdom it comes from personal experience and you can’t argue with it. You own your own wisdom and if you can’t trust it, what good is it? If somebody else’s wisdom sounds a lot like yours you should be skeptical. After all, it’s a lot easier to see their flaws than to fess up to your own. In any case, difficult as it may be, dredge up enough courage to keep your wisdom file updated. My own personal wisdom has been narrowed down to rules of thumb and they move around like birds in the bush. These are a few: 
#1 Today is the only day you can get your hands around so do something with it that would please your mother. 
#2 Being human makes us unique but is nothing to be proud of. 
#3 Being human is all we’ve got so reread #1. 
#4 Forgiveness is the letting go of a hot rock. It frees the victim by design and the guilty by default. 
#5 There is no universal truth other than; change is nature of nature. 
#6 is gender based if not outright sexist but never the less: Generally speaking, women are better suited and more responsive than men to doing the right (righteous) thing. 
#7 If you love someone then tell them so, tell them again. Then live up to your words. 
Some day I will add to this list but for today there must be something else I should be doing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment