Friday, January 1, 2021

BUENOS DIAS: DAY 289

  New Year’s morning, Buenos Dias: I stayed up last night all the way to the flush. At midnight-minus-15 minutes I made a Face-Time call to my daughter in Alaska. It was only 9:00 p.m. there so we got to hang out for my party ‘whiz-bang’ moment without crashing hers. When I woke up this year I had a text message to answer, wondering how it would be if I had a choice. Do I want the new year or do I want what’s behind curtain #1, or #2? I was thinking, ‘. . .if I could reboot 1998 again I would be 59 and ’98 was really a good year. My friend is still in the ‘Dump Trump’ afterglow and wants to see how that unfolds in ’21. The jury is already in with a verdict as far as I can tell. DT is going ooze along, a slow, loose, superimposed bowel movement. Even if he drops out of sight, the stench will be with us for at least the rest of my life. 
I am doing a short, blog spot today simply to make my mark in the sand: today starts a new year. Even if it is just the day after yesterday, I want to make an error free adjustment with signing dates on receipts and forms. Other than that, I have black-eyed peas in the slow cooker. Another hour and I’ll add ham and cabbage. I still find myself checking vocabulary with Español, a habit I enjoy. I don’t anticipate the deja vu moment, when it comes around it's more like an unexpected commercial on YouTube. Ham is ‘jamon’ and cabbage is ‘repollo’. You never forget the vernacular; ‘caca’ is still poop (shit) and ‘besa mi cula’, kiss my ass. That’s where everything begins. All things being equal and as need be, that would put us in the situation where ‘lo siento’ is called for, I’m sorry. 
We got several inches of snow after I went to sleep, the temperature is down in the mid 20’s, my coffee pot has gone dry and on my shoulders I can sense the outside cold. I don’t know how that works but trust me, it does. I’ll be ready for ham & beans in a few hours. Welcome to my world 2021. I’ve seen lots of years come and go and you have inherited a place afflicted with lots of self righteous stupidity, grief and sorrow. You will need some good luck. I hope you reciprocate some of the same good will and best wishes that I extend to you. Just because you are new and you may require a short shakedown period, don’t stop washing frequently, wear a mask and keep that social distance. Better yet, increase the social distance by a few feet over the 2020 standard. Hasta la proxima vez.

No comments:

Post a Comment