Wednesday, December 30, 2020

NO DO-OVER: DAY 288

  I wish I could say something special about New Year’s Eve this year. If I stay away from Covid-19, Black Lives Matter and the pathetic saga of Donald Trump and the myth of his stolen election, more over the unapologetic, blind-leading-the-blind devotion from his army of misled admirers, all that is left to mention is that tomorrow will be a new day. Right now, every wakeup is well received. I nurture hopes that I’ll be safe to travel again, maybe sooner than later. At any age, mine in particular, spending a year in self imposed lockdown is a big chunk of time. Time spent is irretrievable, no go-backs, no do-overs. I have noble intentions to accomplish something affirming today but I also know that good intentions can die on the vine without any symptoms so I’m not holding my breath.
As drawn as I am to quotes it’s a natural thing for me to go there when my mind slips into neutral and I find myself coasting. Aristotle got credit for noting, “Nature abhors a vacuum.” Of course they couldn’t agree if a vacuum can exist at all so the whole point may be lost. Still, I would suggest that even with the caveat, the vacuum Aristotle alluded to was a metaphor to begin with. In like fashion my mind abhors a blank page. When I get one, familiar quotes begin to blow through like low hanging cumulus clouds in April. 
While writing just now, something stirred a memory and I recalled my favorite William Penn quote. Penn died before the American Revolution so he is not thought of as a founding father. Still, his fingerprints are all over that government of, by and for the people. He said, “I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow-being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.” Any kindness or good thing. . . do it now. 
Spiraling off in another direction, George Lakoff wrote a little book in 2004 that compares/contrasts parenting styles as metaphors to illustrate conservative vs progressive world views. “Never Think Of An Elephant” I’ll not review the book but I do recommend it. In Lakoff’s research a reliable Republican resource shared a fundamental, conservative assumption. On the whole they see progressive liberals as ‘Do-gooders’ and that was not a compliment. From their perspective, doing good equates to assisting people who are either lazy or who choose poorly and that serves no worthy purpose. Winners win, losers lose and that’s how the world works. To the winner go the spoils. Bleeding-heart do-gooders would reward failure and perpetuate sloth. Conservative propaganda sounds really good if you already believe it but under scrutiny, it is as full of holes as a tennis racket.
‘Do-gooder’ language does strike a chord with me, comes across as an insult. My world as a child was framed at every corner with the moral principal, make your own way, earn what you get, get what you deserve. Being deserving was about integrity and industry. Play fair, work hard, don’t cheat. Charity was a double edge blade. Nobody wanted to be on the receiving end but everybody would graciously sacrifice something to others in need. So for me, a do-gooder was someone who flaunted good fortune in the guise of generosity and that was prideful sin at its worst. 
Nature has equipped us with a need to cooperate within small groups and for those same small groups to compete with other groups. That worked very well for hunter gatherers but civilization has surpassed that simple paradigm. We all belong to several/many tribe-like (small groups) which facilitates conflict at every level. How does one find balance when religion is in conflict with career, in conflict between competing political and social loyalties? What then about the free market agent exploiting inherently vulnerable friends or family. Treachery under any flag is an abomination but in the name of ‘Self Interests’ exploitation becomes ‘Good Business’ and that is what we should all aspire to (I’m told). 
What I believe isn’t all that important. I’m not selling anything today but I do like Wm Penn’s quote. If that makes me a do-gooder then I’ll think of it as a righteous update to an old, out of date software package. Do good! Time spent is irretrievable, no go-backs, no do-overs. If I have to hang my hat on just one hook it would be the hook of: We’re all in this together, we need each other, take care of each other. If I blow my chance here today, I shall not pass this way again.





No comments:

Post a Comment