Friday, December 25, 2020

ARRIVING LATE: DAY 282

  Christmas morning: yesterday my family came together-apart on a zoom call. It was so, so good to see all those faces in one passing glance. Spending so much time alone, depending on technology to keep in touch, a metaphor that doesn’t live up to the expectation but still we milk it dry. In the last two days I’ve indulged myself with feel-good reflections and wistful thoughts of better days. When you grow old maybe that’s better than leaning forward, into the grinder.
Night before last I watched Dickens Christmas Carol, the Patrick Stewart version. He is so good: carried the film all by himself. But the good-feel-good was there. You know the story by heart but it’s timeless: hard edged, cheerless people are touched (the metaphor again) and they change. Human nature would take us on a bumpy, troublesome ride but, I must concede, the human condition is blessed with a gentle, forgiving, uplifting spirit. By impulse and neuron the brain gets the message. It prescribes first then synthesizes dopamine, the natural high and things begin to look up, you feel better. The effect will wear off but for a while, life is sweet. Last night, I watched The Polar Express again. Youngsters who were already saddled with unfair circumstances plunge ahead through the most wonderful, exciting ‘Chase’ experience ever captured on film. We sense going in that the train will arrive on time, safely but the Mach-2 journey keeps one on the edge from start to finish. I love the sound of the steam engine and the drivers turning the big wheels. Every year, the message I get is the same, a simple reminder that bridging the void between hope and belief is therapeutic, good medicine. Like ‘Hero’ Boy & ‘Hero Girl’, whose names we never learn: he the willing but jaded doubter and she, the trusting believer, I climbed onboard as well. I always need some of that magic. 
I am honestly enjoying this Christmas morning, by myself at home, coffee & cookies, only a text message away from all those I love. Having an awesome Solstice gathering on my patio with three, safely distanced friends was a rare but familiar blessing to be sure. It put me on a most perfect trajectory for, “Sleigh bells ring, are you listenin’, in the lane, snow is glistenin. . .’  The story of my life has been one of arriving late and unprepared. Still, there has always been a way through and a compass that could point true North. So I am happy with the movie selections, with the zoom experience, with the text message, email and with food to seal the deal. I think it was Abe Lincoln who said, “People are just about as happy as they choose to be.” I know for a fact, every morsel of condescending wisdom is debatable and this ‘Happy as they choose. . .’ thing is no different. But I’m still in a Tom Hanks frame of mind, on the train to the North Pole. Hero Boy got a silver bell that wouldn’t ring until he bridged the ‘Belief’ gap. I’ve had my bells for years and years but just dug them out recently. They ring a little sweeter today. Maybe it’s because my doubts about Santa Clause are in remission. Belief in the Clause-man will fall out of good stead by the end of summer but I’ll reboot again with the right movie and maybe we can hug again in 2021. 

No comments:

Post a Comment