Monday, January 1, 2018

THEREFORE I AM


I woke up this morning to a brand new year. It is so easy to anthropomorphize animals, even objects and ideas, even years. I remember cartoons on New Year’s Day of a gray bearded old curmudgeon limping off on a crutch while the New Year dropped out of a cloud in a diaper, without a clue of what would go down on his watch. When it takes only 365 days to spend a lifetime, it has to hit the ground running. So for me, this new year gets a day to feel good but tomorrow will be another story. The new year won’t be new any more, it needs to be walking and talking on the 2nd day, able to communicate ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ - able to ask the big ‘Why’ question. By its 2nd sunrise the romance will be over and blame will come from every direction.  What a rotten year already; it’s so cold when it’s supposed to be mild and people haven’t changed a bit, just as mean and selfish as last year. Last year will start looking better after all, a little peace on earth, good will to man gave the last two weeks a good feel, even it it was mostly imagination.  Happy New Year. 
The best thing about 2017 is framed eloquently in the title of a recent Willie Nelson song; “I Woke Up Still Not Dead Again Today.” Life is pretty special. I have a rock from Grand Canyon that is over a billion years old but it doesn’t metabolize anything, can’t replicate itself. People are wonderful and terrible in the same breath, depends on how you feel in the moment and changing our minds comes easy. But I think therefore I am and wonderful or not, it beats a billion years of rock. In 2018 I’ll look forward to wonderful wake-ups and well deserved fall-sleeps. I hope it’s not too much to ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment