Tuesday, January 9, 2018

SOMETHING PROFOUND


This time last year I was on my way to Arizona: a neophyte Snow Bird with a pickup truck and camper. The trip turned out to be a good education; expensive but good. There is an old axiom about the sweet taste of low price being soon forgotten while the bitterness of poor quality is long remembered. My border town Mexican dentist experience will be long remembered. I know; anybody can have a bad day so my reservations are with me. I’ll eat the blame but certainly, not do it again. Then in the spring I got caught up in the drug addiction, self destruction of a close, long time friend. That was expensive as well. In hind sight it should have been crystal clear, you think you can be part of the solution but you can’t. 
I don’t count years so much as I notice seasons come and go. It’s bitter winter and I’m about ready to go south again. This time I’ll have a companion and we’ll jet south. We vacation together and she couldn’t resist this one. Sea turtles down in Baja, Mexico need help hatching and reaching the sea. We have volunteered to be part of the program. I always took to winter’s cold, you just have to dress for it. But now, even dressed right, it wears me thin. So the two of us old biology buffs, we will shelter and protect turtle nests against predators and poachers. We did a New Year’s cruise to Cozumel a few years back which was just alright and I think the turtles will be way-more fun. Digging holes on a sandy beach for a worthy cause; what better for an old beach-walking hole-digger? 
I just learned this morning that another high school class mate has passed. We weren’t close but it underscores how temporary and fragile this life is. I’d write something profound but everything is profound when today is the only day that maters. I woke up early this morning feeling good. So I dozed off for half an hour and did it again.  Ain’t it great!

No comments:

Post a Comment