Friday, November 25, 2016

MUCH OBLIGED


        I did all of my kitchen tricks early this morning, before the chef or his boss needed the counter tops and knives. I made cranberries. They are in the fridge. Then I put together an experimental (aren’t they all. . .) bread pudding. Everything I prepare (kitchen-wise) has a random, experimental element. It always starts out with a recipe but somewhere along the process I deviate and then it’s just, whatever feels good. It it ends up tasting good (it usually does) I act like I knew what I was doing all along. The secret is, using good food to begin with. My bread pudding began with cinnamon rolls instead of bread. I added an extra egg and substituted peach brandy where it called for rum. It’s in the oven now, over the prescribed time but the heat was shut down a few minutes after it dinged. If it fails it won’t be the first but I’m batting maybe, .800 so chances are it will succeed. 
I’m in San Antonio, Texas at my first-born’s. He’s a chemist with the same kind of attention to detail in the kitchen as in the lab. If you leave him alone and stay out of his way, things go better. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday in this, the Holiday Season. It’s so civilized; none of the consumer nonsense or religious hyperbole. Being thankful doesn’t require tradition or ceremony so I leave that to somebody else. My back-story is way-more happy than sad; I enjoy good health, enough money to pay the bills and family who love each other. I’m thankful. We will have turkey and dressing later in the day. I’m sure there will be football and I will fall asleep if I try to watch it. But a timely nap is appropriate. Someone will tell me who won. 

No comments:

Post a Comment