Thursday, November 22, 2012

2012 THANKSGIVING


Oh my . . . my kitchen is a mess; but the food was worth it. As long as I take food somewhere else to eat, I can get away with it. When folks come to my house to eat, I have to clean up behind myself and it’s not easy. I tend to be, either - or: create or clean up, but not both at the same time. So my sink is full of dirty stuff and counter tops are cluttered with other stuff that made it only that far. I don’t mind cleaning up but it can take a while before the urge moves me.  
I’m not a traditionalist. Usually, when friends or family want to conform to tradition, because it’s tradition, I jump out of line and be something different. My mother was a great cook but holiday meals were special because of who you sat by and the great stories that were created in the process. So abandoning the Turkey tradition is easy for me. I’ve spent the last two decades rubbing shoulder and breaking bread with Cajun cooks, from New Orleans to the back waters of the Atchafalaya Basin. In the process, I paid attention and now have a few “Killer” recipes committed to memory. I wouldn’t call it tradition, more like “Just do the very best you know how.” 
There is something about cranberries, pecans, honey and orange zest that stands alone, has nothing to do with tradition; so I made cranberry sauce. Caramelize thin sliced onions and brussel sprouts in butter for a green vegetable and mixed up a little apple salad; it was coming together. I know; it’s Thanksgiving and you need a main dish that everything else can rally around. Gumbo is always a good choice but today I chose Shrimp & Grits. Recently, since I’ve been back in the mid-west, when I mention Shrimp & Grits someone is bound to tell me about South Carolina Shrimp & Grits. Down there, they serve creamy grits; which is O.K., I suppose. I prefer baked, cheese grits and there is no comparison. Throw in ‘dem shrimps with a little Cajun Trinity {onion, celery & bell pepper}, cook ‘em down, juicy with as much cayenne pepper, paprika and garlic as you can stand. 
Sipped on a glass of Pinot Noir and fed my face. Now I”m full and there’s pie in the refrigerator that will have to wait. This life sure is good and I’m Thankful as I can be, every day. I don’t eat like this every day but I am thankful every day: hope Y’all are havin’ a wonderful holiday.

1 comment: