Saturday, December 1, 2012

R.H.S. CHRISTMAS PARTY


On the 1st Saturday of December, for the past eight years, old Eagles from Ruskin High School, Kansas City, classes from the 50’s & 60’s get together for a holiday party. I learned about it last year, was the only person there from my class. I saw a few people I knew and met some people who said they knew me. 
The party is paid for by anonymous alumnus: great ribs, sausage, potato salad, baked beans, finger food and beer. So we’re all going around, squinting at hard to read name tags, making jokes about growing old, trying to remember fifty year old history. The paramedics only had to come take care of one person.
This year there were four of us from '57 and it was really good to see them, find out how they are doing. Carl {on left} and I go back to the 3rd or 4th grade. Mary and Janet {next to me} back to the 9th grade. There was plenty of hoot and hollering when the classes checked in and some big “Party” talk. But by 9:00, everybody was partied out and I’m home in time to write and watch the news. We’re hoping we can get enough class mates next year to fill up a table. I can see it in my mind: dancing on the table tops and food fights until we fall asleep, or 9:00, whichever comes first. If Santa's watching, all he'll see are good little boys and girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment