Saturday, January 20, 2024

NOT ALL WHO WANDER

  After only six days into the new year I closed up the house and set off for the West Coast, just hours ahead of a Bomb Cyclone that was closing in from the mountains. Four days later after two motel stays, a ‘Travel Club’ B&B in Phoenix and boondocking (sleeping in the car) in the Bakerfield, CA Pilot truck stop I had outflanked the storm. But Missouri was still suffering under nearly a week of sub-zero temperatures. I spent the next week with my cousin in Turlock, CA. Yesterday, armed with a big bag of juicy, sweet oranges from the tree in the yard I took off in the early morning fog. That didn’t work very well and the two hour trip to Cupertino too nearly twice that. But I’m here, we went to China Town last night, over the mountains this morning toward Santa Cruz and (Giant, tall Redwoods) and are back to decompress. I could hang out here for several days; escaping the weather in Missouri was my primary idea when I flew the coop and I am in no hurry to get back. 
The weather here isn’t that great, rain, gray and more rain but it is the rainy season after all, not so cold. I won’t complain. California simply is what it is. People here think it is normal and go about their business. Come the weekend and they go to the mountains to ski and dodge avalanches which have been troublesome this past week. 
I just want to be inconspicuous, fly-on-the-wall and easy to get along with. As long as I be nice and they are happy I can stay out here. There are lots of Travel Club members (mates) in Southern California. With a little luck I can hook up along the way for a night or two and prolong my get-away. Lots of good stories but I’m going to take a nap right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment