Saturday, January 6, 2024

FARGO

  Saturday, January 6, 2024: I feel like a tethered dog who has freed itself from the leash. I might be exaggerating, yeah I think so but anxious (as with anticipation rather than anxiety) but it feels good.  I pulled out of Grandview, MO at 5:15 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. and the motel was, once upon a time, upscale but time is relentless on motels just like it is on old men. I’ve always had good luck with Econo Lodge and come back with high expectations. This one, in Elk City, Oklahoma has maybe 60 rooms around an indoor pool but it hasn't seen water since Noah's flood and the fake palm trees are still strewn around the deck where somebody left them in another century. But I’m not complaining; my room is clean and the heater has it just about right. When I opened the door it was chilly, I tapped the controls and the unit came to life like they were on drugs. I will get away early-early again. The first hour will be draining a medium cup of dark roast from the Flying J Travel Center and looking for a lite breakfast up ahead in Amarillo. 
First time for me out on the road in the new (preowned) car. All of my vehicles have had names and this one took some time to find a good one; came to me this morning in Joplin, MO. Dark gray 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan reminded me of an old time-wild west stage coach, Wells Fargo. Drop the ‘Wells’ and you are left with Fargo. With a little shape shifting you can imply; “Go-far” and that sounds like a mission statement. So FARGO it is. 
Fargo had a problem. Miles & miles today brought into focus a blind spot in the mirror coverage. No way to adjust driver’s side mirror or seat to see it all. So the first thing I did in town here was a side trip to O’Reilly’s Auto Parts for a round, fish-eye mirror to stick in the upper corner of the Dodge mirror. So far in town it works fine, we’ll see tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. I have minivan envy. What I really wanted for Christmas was a white low mileage Toyota Sienna AWD Hybrid with a 2" lift kit so I can run the AC when I'm wondering and sleeping in 90-plus degrees. Sadly Siennas cost two fortunes even when they are old, high mileage, and have no documented maintenance records.

    ReplyDelete