Monday, July 3, 2023

INDEPENDENCE DAY

  Special days often give me the bump that gets me writing and once I get started the ‘muse’ can take me with him anyplace he wants to go. Some holidays make me feel good and I carry that sentiment with whatever I do. My celebrating may not be obvious, maybe just clean socks and music on my I-Phone at the gym. I don’t need a reason to be thankful, life didn’t have to be kind but it has been with me. So here I am writing and the words are coming out soft, even forgiving. But Independence Day doesn’t do for me what it is intended to do. I’ll not beat up on my homeland on her birthday but neither will I do the self ingratiating, “Mirror, mirror on the wall - who is fairest of them all?” A long weekend at the front end of summer is good for morale and this year summer is looking long and hot.
Me, personally, I think every holiday should include elements of thanksgiving and humility but that’s just me. Without it there is nothing to buffer human hubris. On my nation’s birthday, 2023, I’ll remember my heroes; Mark Twain (a writer), M.L.K. Jr. (a preacher), Carl Sagan (a scientist), Crazy Horse (a warrior) all great Americans and my mother of course, the woman who taught me well, ‘There but for the Grace of God go I’
Independence Day is the day to feel good about our country and its people. There is plenty to feel good about but not everybody moves to the same rhythm and one person’s blessing is another one’s curse. I’m afraid our patriotic stereotypes have confused liberty with license and I don’t know the cure for that. So I’ll lean on my heroes and be glad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment