Wednesday, July 12, 2023

DENSITY

  So far this life of mine has been charmed. The seasons of growing up, exploring, making hay, of breaking things and mending fences; my calendar has spent itself and all that’s left is December, which day I don’t know and that’s good. I identify with the line from the movie ‘Back To The Future’ where George McFly needs help expressing himself to Lorraine and Marty, his future son (Michael J. Fox) tells him to tell her, “You are my destiny.” But when the time comes, the pressure of the moment is too much and George tells her, “You are my density.” So here I am, December is my destiny, not what happens to me someday in an uncertain future. I think one’s destiny is framed in the moment, always in the ‘Now’. What becomes of you someday, I would call that my ‘Density’ and George would have been correct. The more years I accumulate the (denser) more dense I get. As the riddle comes together I hope it is early in December as I would like to stick around a while longer. “Charmed” I think is a fair depiction. 
Funny (figure of speech) how people tend to view the world as either a good place or not so good a place. Going back to the bible where King Solomon grumbles in his old age; “Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.” then Saint Paul tells us to be glad and take comfort in whatever condition we find ourselves. Personally, I favor Abraham (the other one) Lincoln who said, “People are about as happy as they choose to be.” and I prefer to be more than less even if it requires a dash of creative license. One does not have to be religious to make that connection. 
I am in Minnesota, visiting my kids in Saint Paul. In a few days I’ll head east, take the ferry across from Wisconsin to Ludington, Michigan. Friends there are taking me to a concert in Grand Rapids and music is more good medicine. If I have time I want to go across and check out London, Ontario. It is close enough and far enough as well. Something to be said for a civilized place where wannabe patriots are not carrying guns and women choose their own health care options. I can stay in Canada for six months on my passport and it’s only a two hour drive back to Port Huron, Michigan. My dollars go a little farther up there which counts a little bit. I spent 3 months in summer and fall of 2012 in Nova Scotia and enjoyed every day. There is a strong American expat community in Halifax and I fell in well with them like I belonged. I can’t do that (expatriate) even if I wanted to; too old and not enough money to invest but I can visit and spend what money I have. I would be looking for a warmer clime in winter anyway. January and February in Argentina would be perfect; summer down there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment