Friday, April 8, 2022

TRUE LORDS & LADIES

  After wakeup and half an hour of predictable, patterned behavior my morning usually kicks off with random acts that can surprise even me. I know well enough when it’s time to reset my kahooten gear and grease a Van Allen belt. I do that by conducting the morning’s first bird census. I consider it a good omen when, out the kitchen window with my first cup of coffee, I see birds on my patio feeder. House Finches and Chickadees lend grace to the moment and Titmice even more. Gold Finches bump it up a notch and promise (Happy) for the rest of the day. But a woodpecker’s arrival is akin to God’s approval. Appearance can be deceiving. The Red-belly is big and gorgeous while the Flicker is big, more mottled with bright yellow shafts on the underside of their flight feathers. They are awesome. Even at that, the true Lords & Ladies of the woodpecker world are the smaller Hairy and Downies who slip in without fanfare. They seal the deal. 
Haven’t seen a Nuthatch since before the last big snow. Don’t know what that’s all about; they rank equal or above Titmice. Next one I see I’ll consult the local shaman or voodo wizard for an interpretation. The Kahooten thing is family (my kids) jargon, a nonsense word. At first it dealt with things that go vroom but expanded to mean anything with parts. It applies when you want to sound smart but fall short with the vocabulary; or, to trick an ignorant onlooker (someone who simply doesn’t know) into thinking you know something they don’t, or it passes as a subtle, secret code-word that doesn’t mean anything, just word play.
With my 2nd cup of coffee I must choose between continuing what I have begun (writing) or move on to something new. Right now, moving on sounds better than recalibrating a discombobulated kahooten. Housework isn’t very appealing but it is necessary and I feel it sneaking up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment