Wednesday, April 27, 2022

I CAN'T BELIEVE I SAID THAT

  Two days ago I emptied and closed down my bird feeders, dumped upside down the birdbath. Birds on my patio have been few and far between this spring and my suspicions are confirmed. When people understand there is a deadly virus on the loose we act accordingly, at least some of us do. But birds don’t have a clue. They score high among other animals on intelligence tests but when it comes to disease, they don’t have a clue. There is a strain of Avian Flu (Bird Flu) that is laying waste to bird populations across North America just as they are about to fledge a new generation. 
The NY Times just ran an article that recommends shutting down feeders and bird baths. Avian flu is highly contagious, nearly always fatal. So in their own best interests they need help keeping to themselves and less hanging out at the birdbath. Bird feeders and baths certainly do attract them with easy access to free food, all they can eat. Feeding the birds this time of year has never been about needy birds. They have been feeding themselves for Ages without any outside help. I am guilty like other bird lovers. I love their activity, the colors, the singing, just the proximity, want them to nest in my birdhouses and they can fly; OMG they can fly. But they get along very well without our sunflower and thistle seed. Spring is a season of plenty and they don’t need us now. In January & February it gets sparse but this is the end of April. 
When asked about ‘Life’ people default straight to civilized culture and ignore the process; metabolism, replication, etc. Life is not unique to human beings. If there is anything sacred about life it would be in the process, not the vehicle. Birds may not identify with the process but they process the process perfectly. Every breath should remind us that life is both precious and fragile. It is not the ‘Yellow Brick Road’, more like swinging from vine to vine to vine (breath to breath). I you can’t make it to the next one then Fate has its way. As far as we know, you only get one go’round and it can be cut short regardless of species. 
Birds have no idea where they come from or understand that mortality is their fate. A Fight-or-Flght stress response is their only failsafe. They feed & drink, mate, reproduce and if they’re lucky their DNA gets passed on to succeeding generations. Too bad there are many millions of unlucky birds this year. I am sorry for that and  will miss the ones that no longer show up, whatever the reason. 
I can’t help making the bird-human analogy. We know where we come from and even though we work diligently at shunning our fate, fate is more persistent than we are diligent. I really like this rational, self-aware experience, don’t want to be stuck with Fight-or-Flight as an only option. I like the imagination-story connection both coming and going. I like waking up knowing my DNA is at work in generations that supersede me. I like knowing why this moment is so precious, it’s all there is. Everything happens in the present, in the moment. One needn’t be a guru to figure it out; ‘Here & Now’ subordinates both past and future. Birds don’t think at all but what is more common that people overthinking yesterday or sometime soon. 
I could beat up on the human species but I’ve done that and it doesn’t change anything. I can be both happy and informed in the present. Happy and sad can share the same space. I have lots of options and the window of possibility stays open. Good luck birds. You are in harm’s way and nothing I can do to help except shut down my feeder. Avoid strangers. Social distancing will literally be, for the birds; I can’t believe I said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment