Sunday, January 23, 2022

HITCH YOUR WAGON

  Winter Solstice is observed on December 21 but to be honest, the shortest daylight day of the year (in actual hours and minutes) can happen sooner or later, give or take as much as a week either way. There are several variables that affect timing Sunrise to Sunset and if one does not enjoy or appreciate the study of astronomy/meteorology there is no reason to dig in that hole. But I do, and I do. The most notable (variable) is Wobble, an unsteady, rocking motion. Ever so slightly, our Mother (Earth) wobbles on her axis, back and forth. At any given moment, anywhere on the planet, we are wobbling toward or away from the sun itself and that can (and does) affect when we first see and when we lose sight of the sun. Add to that, other lesser forces that act in concert with the wobble, (we measure in milliseconds, even microseconds 1/1,000 of a millisecond now) making exact, precise timing nearly impossible. 
It has been almost a month to the day since I celebrated Solstice which is just over 8% (that’s a lot) of the year. But yesterday at my house the sun rose at almost exactly (within a couple of minutes) at the same time as it came up on December 21. Sunset was over half an hour later, from 5:00 P.M. to 5:32 P.M.. My daylight time is increasing but not uniformly at both ends of the day. It seems illogical and there is nothing I can do about it but like Druids of old, I marvel at what seems miraculous and mysterious. Over time; telescopes, calculators, science and its growing body of knowledge have lifted that cloak of mystery. But it doesn’t diminish the sense of awe and wonder; it only adds to it. This would be a good place for a Carl Sagan quote. If you aren’t already privy to his thoughts you might think one of his quotes sound like something I would say but he shapes my thinking, not the other way around. 
So for the past month our days have been getting longer at the end of the day rather than spreading daylight out evenly, like butter on toast, morning to dusk. It will balance out  before long and there is a good reason I just don’t have it. I’m sure it stems from those variations in the wobble and other combined forces. By mid March daylight and darkness will be nearly equal, 12 hours daylight and 12 hours day-dark. Some people will hate it but never the less, we will go back on Daylight Savings Time. I don’t care one way or the other. It seems they (haters) need something to be angry about and waking up to a slightly different rhythm is sufficient to their displeasure. You have jet-lag for a few days twice a year but you don’t have to fly or unpack luggage. In any case, there is nothing awesome or mysterious about either the switch from daylight to standard time or the switch back in 5 or 6 months. 
I am attracted to if not hooked with the wonder of baffling, natural phenomenon. Somewhere in the mix there are keys to unlock those mysteries and I can put my hands on some of them. The others, I’ll keep looking. I would recommend the same awe & wonder solution to any and all skeptics, even to short sighted, self-consumed, wannabe thinkers who piss and moan over every little ripple in the flow. I suppose I am no different, but pissing into the wind seems self defeating so I aim downwind and I do my moaning in private. I’m not blaming anyone and in this case, angst against human folly is a dead end. They think you are a fool too. 
Check the charts and the forecast for a clear morning and get up early to watch the sun rise. It is empowering. Some people prefer sunset. You are already awake and it is great for peaceful, settled reflection. Sunrise would be more about new beginnings and expectations, a kick-start. Find a high place with a long view, listen to some of your favorite music and watch the red ball clear the horizon and turn to orange, then creep up above trees and go to gold. When it gets too bright to look straight at you know it is time to hitch your wagon to that rising star. It is good for the soul and I recommend it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment