Wednesday, November 11, 2020

REINCARNATION: DAY 238

  The new normal means that I don’t engage with other people on a regular basis. Living alone it dawned on me that if I were incapacitated or worse, who knows how long it would take to be discovered? Last year I addressed that with my niece, even before the virus arrived. Now we touch base every day by phone, text or email. Likewise, I reach out to my kids more frequently. In 2001 when I retired, the new normal was about cell phone photographs and Facebook. If someone had foreseen my daily calls to let family know I hadn’t broken a leg in the basement or quit breathing in the night, it would have been absurd. 
Post election transition is being upstaged by a truculent, narcissist president who simply can not, literally incapable of processing failure. In the past, in his mind, his failures were attributed to subordinates or enemies. At the end of the day he always saw a victorious hero in the mirror. Willie Nelson believes in reincarnation, that he was Geronimo in another life. DT has a similar fixation, that he was, still is an ageless Genghis Khan, crushing enemies by day and whoring by night. 
Yesterday at 2:22 p.m. I received this text message from an 866 number (I’m serious). “We’re begging! Things are desperate. Races are uncalled & we need emergency funds ASAP. 5X matching for all Trump Patriots.”  with a link to a website. Certainly an outrageous scam, maybe a Trumpster who does know how to capitalize failure. I guess I’m not all that paranoid about who is president, but maybe I am about who it is not. I am getting him out of my system, sort of like bubble gum out of a your 3 year-old’s hair, not an easy thing to do.
Eleven thousand new Covid cases yesterday in Texas alone. Across the nation, more people were hospitalized with Covid yesterday than at any previous time. If I can keep dodging the bullet, avoiding direct contact and close proximity, maybe this time next year I can go someplace warm. Not much else to chew on here but I did hear a good Abraham Lincoln quote yesterday; “I don’t like that man. I must get to know him better.” In my book, that speaks of a willingness to bend in the wind. What better time for all leaders to reflect on Lincoln’s moral compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment