Saturday, July 7, 2018

LIKE A MOTH IN ITS COCOON


Thunder Bay, Ontario: It’s taken 4 days, some logic, mostly trial & error but a pattern is coming together. Things have their place and there is an order of doing things that minimizes unnecessary motion. Space is cramped, 40 sq. ft. sounds small but 160 cubic ft. is the tight part. Not complaining, you just acclimate to the situation. Knowing when to drop the tailgate and when to climb over saves energy and avoids the awkward and clumsy, fall on your face, bump your head.
Night before last I woke up cold. I had enough covers but turning in my sleep they end up on the floor. First thing on my agenda yesterday was a Thrift Store, a sleeping bag; $9 Canadian comes to $7 American and small change. Slept really well last night, zipped like a moth in its cocoon.
I haven’t filled up with Canadian gasoline yet. I know it will be culture shock but I see so many big, gas guzzling pickup trucks it must get easier. Yesterday I drove around most of the morning, getting a feel for the city. By afternoon I was saturated with street names and orienting by shadows. I found a Wal*Mart Super Store, not as ostentatious as USA mother stores but it says something about Canada. Without a global conscience, most Americans (I believe) have to keep convincing themselves how special they are. Canadians (collectively) don’t need to prove anything, no evidence of the Kardashian-Trump syndrome here but not to preach. Dark by 10:00 last night, there were 15-20 campers in my corner of the lot. I moved closer to the loading dock so not to bother others with my generator. Sleeping 11:00 to 5:00 I need a good nap in the afternoon. 
The Wal*Mart parking lot has a fresh fruit stand at one end. It’s permanent for the season with a refrigerated semi trailer and make-shift building. The fruit is so ripe and sweet, don’t know where it comes from but I don’t think they grow mangos here. Young people tending the counter, college age I would think. One person’s job is simply cutting samples and feeding faces. There is a long line, all day. I was reminded of zoo keepers feeding the seals. I got enough free bites to stave off hunger. Waited until just before they closed at 9:00 to get a juicy apricot and it was worth the wait.
Saturday a.m. and I’m back at Husky Truck Stop for eggs & ham, not to mention the free wi-fi connection. When I finish here my plan is to explore the waterfront. Yesterday I happened on a Finish Gift Shop. Trivia: Thunder Bay has the largest Fin community outside of Finland. Saw some affordable trinkets there, want to go back today. There is a Unitarian Church here; thought I’d go to their 10:30 service tomorrow. Have no idea how that will go but Unitarians are like family, common values, interesting and engage easily. Depending on what I learn there, what else might keep me here for another day, the plan is to head east. The north shore of Lake Superior is pretty raw. The biggest town between here and Sault Ste Marie is Marathon (population 3,400). I’ll need at least one, maybe two gasoline stops, allowing 2 or 3 days but can stretch it if I get distracted. 
Teaching school, long ago, a lady whose child was unhappy both at home and at school, she was a frequent visitor with both our counselor and principal. Her concerns were not only strange and unfounded but also weird and disturbing. I asked my friend. Asst. Principal Cliff Johnson, what was her hangup. He reminded me; all we have are perceptions. Between the real world and what we make of it are filters that can skew everything. However different one’s perception may be, it is their reality. So you meet the world however you find it and you treat people like you want to be treated. I already knew that but I remember his simple, accommodating attitude, the one he brought to school every day. Even though he wasn't a Unitarian, he behaved like one. With that in mind, we’ll see how the day plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment