Sunday, May 6, 2018

EGGS BENEDICT


Writers, people like me who write primarily out of their own need to process ideas and likewise document that process; we are keenly aware that someone else may and probably will read what we write. Someone famous, a writer, gave good advice when she said, “If you don’t want anyone to read it, don’t write it.” I wish I could remember who it was. So you write with that in mind, shaping language, framing not only what it is but also, even if only by inference, what it means. My target audience; I know two people, writers themselves who play with words and all the while, read with a critical eye. I write to their sensibility when I put it down on the page. It’s not only what you have to say but how you say it. I try to edit as I go but that’s essentially, reviewing your own work. If you think it would be better some other way it would already be that way. Line to paragraph,I reconsider, “Would so-and-so go with me on this?” 
If you’re not a writer, reading this would be like exercising on a treadmill; spending the effort but going nowhere. But it is how it works. I would like to think it’s like enjoying Eggs Benedict for brunch without giving a thought to where the egg came from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment