Friday, January 6, 2017

BLESSING OR A CURSE


Kris Kristofferson is sort of a hero figure to me. Not that he is heroic in the popular context but certainly in a mythical sense. In ‘Hero With A Thousand Faces’ Joseph Campbell frames the hero’s journey from Jason and Perseus through modern day heroes like John Glenn and Nelson Mandela. When everyday people are thrust into the maelstrom of chance and adversity, they may rise to the occasion or they may not. But in either case, if they return changed persons, if that change sets them apart as leaders or role models, that is the return part of the hero’s journey. You must go back to the source and be an agent of change. Kris K’s military career was more or less assured by his family connections but he let that go. Burning bridges with family and friends, he chose the high risk life style of popular music. 
Half a century later it’s fair to conclude that he is far better remembered and respected for his music than had he gone to war. The back-story helps as I reflect on lyrics from his song, ‘The Pilgrim’. The song captures a character who struggles, who fails more often than not. He continues the struggle, against the current of his culture; “Not knowing if believing is a blessing or a curse . . . or if the going up is worth the coming down.” The believing part is about his chosen path rather than what others would have him believe. By Campbell’s standard, Kristofferson is heroic.
I ponder the idea that the difference between a blessing and a curse may simply depend on your point of reference. It is January 6 and I’m stuck in Missouri with below zero temperatures outside. I don’t want to pack up my truck and camper or drive in this cold. These are conditions where things break easily but I’m comfy inside. I’m supposed to be in Arizona but I’ll wait for a warmer day to jump off. The going up and the coming down; I take a lot for granted. It is no secret that I view myself and seven billion-plus world-mates as simply animals with unique adaptations. There is certainly no threat to our existence other than our inhumanity to each other and an indifference toward our niche in the biosphere. History would tell us that the consequence of our grasp exceeds our reach. I’m more than comfortable inside, with subzero temperatures outside. My truck will start on the first turn of the key and I have fresh vegetables in the refrigerator. That’s a blessing, at least you would think so. It’s so much better than walking, shivering, hungry. Still, if you could anticipate the bullet and keep out of its way, guns wouldn’t matter and neither would curses. To the point; too much of a good thing may be the worst curse ever. 
I’m not going outside in my sleeves to identify with squirrels and woodpeckers. I’m not suggesting anything except that we see our heroes through the lens of our own experience; and we're all on a hero's journey whether we return with a moral and a lesson or fall out along the way. I think Kristofferson is right; we will forever be on the bubble. A blessing or a curse, and, is it worth the coming down?

No comments:

Post a Comment