Thursday, December 17, 2015

RITUAL

 



Nearly twenty years ago I had just returned to Michigan. Life had been a bumpy ride and things were smoothing out, looking up. I had fallen in with a group of writers, new friends and a reason to be writing. I penned a simple poem and used it in lieu of a Christmas card that year. I don’t know how many I sent out but since then it has become a custom if not a ritual; crafting a piece that I feel good about, updating an address book, choosing stationary and envelopes, printing, ink pad and stamps to add a personal touch, a personal greeting to go with the signature, addressing, stuffing, closing, postage stamps and finally a check list, inspection before dropping them in the chute at the post office. Yesterday I left about 85 {+ or -} envelopes with the postal service. Some folks will be traveling or unavailable and I send my best wishes via e-mail or FaceBook. Altogether I try to reach about 100 friends, near and far with the best I can offer. After all, it is the season for peace, and hope, and good will; and I want that to be my little light to shine. After twenty years I notice that my holiday mentality hasn’t changed. Here is that poem again, timely as ever, sincere as ever, hokey if you think it’s hokey but I’ll take that any time. 

Christmas Greeting:  1996

 .  .  .   colored lights border doorways and windows while the warm smell of food fills the house. Children anticipate first morning light and scurry off to bed.
 .  .  .   snow clings to pine branches and covers the mountain side.  An owl listens in the silence, and moonlight paints shadows on the night.
 .  .  .  Somewhere people remember the Christmas past, others hope and dream of times to come. And, some of us are content to live the moment, to treasure the company of loved ones, to bridge time and distance with our best wishes.
 .   .   .  Let the Holidays be a time of peace, and hope, and happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment