Wednesday, March 5, 2014

ALL-NIGHTER



San Francisco: being stuck all night in a far-away airport is not a big deal. I’ve pulled all-nighters at SeTac in Tacoma, Midway in Chicago, Miami International and now at SFO in San Francisco. There are motels nearby and plenty of time but I have better ways to spend my dollar. Due to the long layover, I had to collect my checked bags and leave the secure area. I had made a date with a friend for dinner and went outside to the pick up lane. Shortly, an SUV pulled up, we threw my stuff in the back and headed over to San Bruno and a little Thai restaurant for a late supper. Nareen and I worked together at Kenai Fjords Nat’l Park in 2009 and remain good friends, too important to let the opportunity slip away. 
When I got back to the airport, the only place to camp out was a food court on the same level as ticketing. There was a Subway Sandwich shop that stayed open 24 hrs. with booths that had padded, bench seating. Most of the booth benches were already taken so I glommed onto one in self defense. With bags stuffed under the table top and secured with a belt and an electric cord, I dozed off at about 11:00. Several wake-ups, a trip to the bathroom and interruptions by cleaning crews were all anticipated but 5 hours of sleep was enough to see me through. An 11 hour flight on Monday would leave plenty of time to catch up.
I remember spit baths when I was a little kid. If we were out in public and my mom discovered an unacceptable smudge on my face or hands, she would spit on a white handkerchief that she kept in her purse, just for that possibility. I would get a hasty scrub down and we moved on as if I were spotless all along. Every time I scrub up in an airport restroom I remember those spit baths and be thankful for hot running water and paper towels. Freshened up, I went through ticketing, rechecked my big bag, shoeless through security and down the long corridor to the International Terminal. Decided to pass on breakfast. The long, nonstop flight to Seoul, Korea would involve several meals and I had trail mix in my back pack. I’d rather be a little hungry than the other way. But I did sit down at a restaurant table and break out the computer. Didn’t know when I’d get my next chance to bank on line and check my e-mail. 
The plane was really big, two decks high with a spiral staircase and a dozen attendants. Stepping inside made me connect with Jonah and the whale. We started boarding at 10:00 a.m., through two gates and a half hour later, we were still boarding. I was in Group 5 but stowing guitar and back pack was easier than expected and my isle seat was next to a no-show; I would have the luxury of some wiggle room. You can do the math but it still feels wrong, Leaving on Monday at 11:00a.m., flying 11 & a half hours and landing at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday. The sun never went down and I lost a day somewhere but with jet lag it probably doesn’t matter. Hello Seoul; I was here 53 years ago but only for 12 hours and it was all work and no play. We'll have to make up for that. Lots to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment