Thursday, October 25, 2012

AFFORDABLE TRAVEL CLUB WITH PETE & ANNE



I belong to a travel club; found out about it from a friend in Kansas City. All you have to do is pay an annual fee, be over 55 and have a spare bedroom. Your name goes on into a directory where other members can contact you when they are on the road and need a place to stay. It’s a private, senior, Bed & Breakfast network. Someday, if I stay home a while, someone may call me and I’ll have the chance to make new friends on my own turf. 
Anne and Pete Foster were my hosts last night: a delightful couple from East Hampton, Connecticut.  Pete made a career with telephone companies in every capacity one could imagine. Anne was a homemaker and did public relations for the Red Cross, a multi career, career. Last night we shared supper and talked about me mostly. I had to change the subject to learn more about them and their story. 
Today I’ll drive west, across Pennsylvania: tonight I’ll stay in Pittsburg, with the Mann’s. Friday night will be in Dayton, Ohio with my son Pete and his better half, Betsy. They have a new home and I get to be the first, official guest. I hope to have time to stop and say “Hey” to a couple of old friends along the route. 
I’m a lucky old dog and I know it. Every time I meet someone worth knowing I’m reminded how important it is to wear the hat you want to be remembered by. It’s a great motivation to be your best self, every day, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment