Wednesday, November 23, 2022

LUCKY TO BE ALIVE

  Our neighbors to the north observe thankful gratitude on the 2nd Monday of October. Like our Thanksgiving it stems from a perilous journey and crushing hardship upon arrival. In both cases, those white Europeans were lucky to be alive in a harsh, unforgiving new world and they attributed that miracle to God’s intervention. Over the next 400 years their Thanksgiving celebrations have acquired a more secular feel. Still, I like the idea of humble gratitude. The bounty of harvest time is like the rain that falls; it falls on the sinner and the saint both and Black Friday is a springboard for unchecked consumerism and its holiday spending spree. 
In 2012 I got to celebrate Thanksgiving twice. In Nova Scotia it was certainly about abundance and gratitude. It must come easier when defending the “We’re Number #1” title isn’t hardwired in the national fabric and run amok religion does not prevail. That whole cultural shift away from self righteous conformity leaves me with some hope. It is easy to fault my parents for birthing me south of the border. No question, I would have fit the Canadian profile much better than I do the American. 
Here in my homeland we celebrated our own big ‘Thank You!’ in late November, on a Thursday. A four day weekend is something to behold and I cannot fault that tradition. I remember when I was teaching school, the pre week was only 3 days long and the 4 day break was plenty, a win-win.
I am not selling salvation, only a pause to reflect and be thankful. Even as my prayer goes off into the cosmos unaddressed, it is mine and it is real. This is old news but I no longer concede to the pride and swagger that exalt and laud the human pedigree. I marvel at evolution, the process that got us down out of the trees and up on two feet. Along with it came self aware sensibility with language and imagination so we can create our own backstory. I don’t know who or what to thank but I need to make that gesture. It doesn’t matter who notices as along as I know.
I do know that I am no more important than a fruit fly that squeezes a lifetime into 4 or 5 weeks. I am programmed to live for 4,500 weeks and with a little luck enjoy the good life that comes with electricity, milk chocolate and a good book. So, Thanks, Thanks a lot, Thank you; really. I like going back to Canada, I have friends there. We can all push the bubble a little closer to mutual civility and good will. The bonus, Thanksgiving would be like having two birthdays in the same year without the added aging. 



No comments:

Post a Comment