Sunday, November 28, 2021

SOUNDS SO SIMPLE I JUST GOT TO GO

  Do you remember small zipper cases to hold music CD’s. Not long after that Apple came up with I-Tunes.  Downloaded songs or albums into my laptop’s hard drive. No need to keep the CDs. I have (seems like) thousands of songs on file, at my fingertips now. Some are copied from old CD’s, others I buy on line, one at a time for $1.29 each and I do that. Traveling as much as I do, I keep a dozen CD’s in a sleeve on the sun visor, made up from play lists that I have put together. I can tap into almost 17 hours of my favorites with no commercials or talk-radio. Sometimes I sing along, other times I just soak it up. 
Naming new play lists has become a challenge. The most recent went through several months of tweaking, swapping out one artist for another, shuffling the order and putting some songs back in that had been bounced early on. Then I finally burned it to CD. I call it, The Best Of - 2021.  At the end there had been 3 empty minutes left and I didn’t want to leave any dead space. Most songs, the good ones run 4 to 6 minutes. Then I was listening to a Saturday night jam on NPR and guess what rolls up unannounced; Oh, oh, Mexico. It sounds so simple I just got to go. The sun’s so hot I forgot to go home. . . James Taylor was making an argument for going back to Baja and it took 3 minutes. Awesome, a full 80 minutes of hand picked road songs.
I will stop in Mississippi on the way north. I know a guy there who gives me a good deal on cypress boards from his saw mill. I have space in the truck bed and hate to come home empty handed. At this point in the pandemic, even with the new South African variant ready to reboot the virus, I have a renewed satisfaction with  making sawdust in my wood shop. I probably have more wood now than I can ever use but still, I hate coming home with an empty truck. 


No comments:

Post a Comment