Saturday, September 11, 2021

9/11

  What I learned from 9/11: if someone wants to hurt you or your country bad enough, if they plan with diligence, raise money, keep secret their secrets, wait for the right time no matter how long and martyr themselves in the process, they can do it. Twenty years later we are still licking our wounds, grieving the loss. The ‘Never Forget’ thing is about venting frustration in the moment. Next week it will drop off the radar for another year before we make a show of remembering again. I remember exactly, where I was when the plane hit the second tower and when the Pentagon was hit. I will not be dismissed for lack of caring or someone's idea of a callous character flaw but twenty years is enough. I don’t need to relive that terrible day or comfort those who lost loved ones. Somewhere, they are still remembering Pearl Harbor and that’s alright. But I have remembered enough. When someone swears an oath to never forget I am reminded, never say never. Today has been a good day. If I wake up in the morning I will be thankful for another day. I have lost track of so many terrible anniversaries that 9/11 can’t fade away fast enough. Man's inhumanity to his own kind is incurable. I am afraid that selfish revenge will masquerade as righteous justice and no one will notice. That’s what people do with their high minded, best intentions. King Solomon was wise as they said he was. There is a time for everything, for every purpose under the sun and it is my time to bury old bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment