Wednesday, March 6, 2019

WHO WILL NEED A WINDOW


I’m home in Michigan this week, was home in Missouri before that and home in Louisiana the week before that. ‘Where You From’ is a tribal thing left over from the stone age, not so far removed from animals sniffing behinds; who’s your mamma. But we have language so we just ask, ‘Where you from’. If it’s someplace far away or exotic then it’s a kick-start to conversation. I mention it because I’m home again, whatever that means. But if I could only have one home, this would be the one. I walked into the old piano factory in Grand Haven this morning, where Coffee Grounds Coffee Shop used to be; it isn’t anymore. New owners have stripped out the coffee shop, the men’s wear place beside it and the pottery shop next door. In the new space there's a Star Wars style coffee shop that spills out into an area still under construction, with garage doors out to the sidewalk. I think it will be a late night venue; whatever its fate I don’t think they were thinking of me.
I understand that change is the nature of nature. Old people generally don't like change but I’ve never been burdened with that. I like the idea. The 70's weren't all that great, glad things have changed, and I’m not complaining, just wasn’t ready for sawdust and a strange face to  pour my decaf. It didn’t take long to discover Jumpin’ Java, 3 blocks up on Washington St. with leaping green frogs on the door and window. It’s a deep/narrow store front more busy with a younger feel. If I can’t make pit stops at the predictable, old, comfortable Coffee Grounds then Jumpin’ Java will be easy getting used to. The Wifi password is programmed into my laptop now and the toaster is self service where I can tweak my own bagel. 
Driving into town this morning was nice. Windy all day yesterday with low clouds and blowing snow. So clear sky and no breeze today makes for easy driving with a cushion of snow to smooth out washboards on the back roads. I’ll be going into Grand Rapids to visit friends this afternoon and evening. Folks on the lake shore are not put off by cold weather in March. Everybody is ready for warm days but I don’t hear anyone grumbling. I always said that there are 5 seasons here. Winter is separated from Spring by Bluster, a month or so of gray, wet, gusty stuff coming in off the lake. By early May the weather will have changed overnight like Cinderella’s pumpkin. Snow and cold will go away, nobody cares enough to bid it good riddance. Reminds me of a song from long ago; “Mañana”. The last verse goes; "The window it is broken and the rain is comin’ in. If someone doesn’t fix it I’ll be soakin’ to my skin. But if we wait a day or two the rain will go away; and who will need a window, on such a sunny day."

No comments:

Post a Comment