Thursday, June 8, 2017

IF IT HURTS, DON'T DO IT

 
I went to a concert recently where the stage was raised and baffles designed so none of the sound leaked out the sides or up through the rafters. It was all funneled out to the audience. Seating was on a grassy slope, room for several thousand; you bring your own chair or a blanket. Before the show began they played recorded music over the PA system; not by the night’s performer but the same, blues/rock genre. The sound level was just right, it came across clean, clear, every note, every syllable. 
The introduction was short and the show began. We were in the middle of the amphitheater just behind and to one side of the audio control booth and the sound engineer. After the first verse, into the first break I tried to tell my companions that I had to leave; too loud. They couldn’t hear me, had to resort to sign language. “Pain; it hurts my ears.” I took my chair and headed to the high point in the far back; still had to cup hands over my ears. My friends followed in a few minutes. We still couldn’t hear each other. 
I remember in the 1980’s, Metallica, Van Halen; they were loud and offensive but my teenage kids loved it. I remember in 1958, the guitar riff at the front of “Johnny Be Good”. Our parents thought is was awful. After all, aggressive, edgy music was then, still is how kids push back against authority. Nobody could make you, not like music that pushes back. We liked “Sweet Little 16”, a black man singing to white kids, veiled, double entendre songs about sex, and it was too loud. "Loud" has evolved over time and technology and now it means (if it doesn’t hurt your ears it isn’t loud enough.) 
I understand, I really do. Musicians want to stretch boundaries and decibels is one way to do that. With “Rock” music, many if not most writer/arrangers consider the voice (lyrics) as just another instrument and whether or not it can be understood is not important. Sinatra and Fitzgerald started singing nonsense sounds in the 60's. They called it “Scat”. But they made sure you heard each consonant and every vowel. They were trying to embellish the story. The current norm is meant to overwhelm the sensory system, an experience rather than a connection. It takes half a million watts to drive 160-170 decibels out a hundred yards to the nose bleed seats in the upper deck. In bars and clubs, it’s common to register 150 d. which causes permanent hearing loss. You can see ripples on the surface of your drink as it vibrates toward the edge of the table. I know something about hearing loss. After decades of denial, I went to the doctor; 40% loss in both ears and I can’t hear for S#*t. When you’re 24 or 31 you can laugh it off; “If it’s too loud, you’re too old.” There’s a very good chance you are too old: you will be the last to know but it’s way-way-too loud as well. Weird how euphoria can increase dopamine production which in turn suppresses the pain. Those same sound levels are used in some places to wear down resistance and torture prisoners. 
I like music meant to be loud, to be loud. But over 100 d. you’re just caught up in a trendy form of self immolation. Your ears don’t go “Boink” over night but they do go boink over time and the fix is over rated. I didn’t stay for the last hour and a half of the Amanda Fish Band. She was trying to howl like Janice Joplin but was just making noise, Janice didn’t need a bazillion watts to get your attention. Beth Hart screams but she is her own amplifier and every phrase is clear as a bell. So much for Too Loud. If it hurts, don’t do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment