Saturday, June 21, 2014

SOLSTICE 2014



People, collectively, 7 billion of us and multiplying; we have a pretty high opinion of ourselves. Most of us believe that we have been chosen by a higher power, to rule the earth. Some simply believe that we are passengers on a bus that takes a year to complete its loop around the neighborhood. In their opinion we are not only, not rulers, but like the pilgrim from the old, Eagles classic, Hotel California,      “. . . you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.” They have a much broader view of creation, where possibility trumps tradition. I am one of those passenger types. But I certainly take liberties. I hang out the windows trying to snag leaves off trees, the wind in my face, mouth open, not knowing if I’ll experience a thrill or just swallow bugs. I’d climb on top if I could.

Summer Solstice is today. Nine years ago today I celebrated Winter Solstice in Ushuaia, Argentina; it depends on which end of the earth you find yourself. Today, in the north, the sun rises earlier and sets later than any other day; the longest day of the year. Primitive, ancient people understood this and incorporated it into their religion. There was something very special about the way things cycle, from the arc of the sun to phases of the moon, time to plant and time to harvest, life itself. In human terms, it took a very long time for us to evolve to our present form and the same elements that drew our ancestors to Pagan beliefs still pull against our science and western religion. I feel the pull today. 
An old biological theory is that of Recapitulation, paraphrased; Ontogeny Recapitulates Phylogeny. That meant that during gestation, we went from little mollusks to arthropods, then through reptiles and so on until we acquired human form and function. The theory had been discredited but still, it opens another window. Mystics, as well as other credible minds believe there is a universal knowledge that we can all access. Just how that works is beyond me but still, speculation leads me to the possibility it may be inherent in nucleotide and codon, DNA.  It suggests that we have a real, tangible link to the star dust from whence we came. It might cast light on why the turning of the tides, the way migratory birds navigate, the last glimmer of the setting sun and solstice, why they move me like they do. I’ll find a high point this evening and hope for a clear sky, watch the sun sink out of sight and marvel at how privileged and how insignificant I can be, all in the same breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment