Tuesday, April 22, 2014

CHILLY NIGHT



APRIL 23, 2014 - TAUPO, NZ

By definition, “Adventure” requires an element of uncertainty and at least the perception of risk. I am over that hump, full engaged with adventure. Yesterday, I picked up my NZ, Mazda rental car and fully realized that I was going to have to drive it, on streets and roads, with other vehicles, and everyone driving on the other side of the center line. I’ve been a passenger on the other side, but when it got emotionally challenging, I could close my eyes. Yesterday, I had to pull out, across two lanes of busy traffic, turn right and keep out of trouble. 
Skip the terrifying details; I averted the grim sounds of metal on metal and breaking glass but my psyche was over drawn. I returned to the rental agency and took a break, closed my eyes for a while. Another foray and I took courage; no less challenged but at least a shred of experience to my credit. Southbound out of Auckland, the highway was manageable; terrifying, but manageable. The slow lane is on the left, as well as exits. Then, it’s very easy to be lulled into a false sense of confidence and forget the challenge of going back onto streets. Every time I try to signal a turn, the windshield wipers come on and I keep looking for my mirrors in all the wrong places. Unconsciously, I center myself to the left of center in my lane which results in warnings from the rumble strip but maybe I’ll do better today.
I arrived in Taupo after dark. Found the night-life, entertainment district along the lake shore and parallel parked without curbing the tires, a first. It was about 7:30 and I’d already eaten. Too late or too risky, (driving after dark in the city) to search for a hostel, I acquiesced to sleeping in the car.  Crowds at every venue, no place to get wi-fi connection, I walked for a while. By 9:30, the public lot that had been packed earlier had more open spaces than parked cars and I pulled in for the night. The chill coming in off the lake had already drawn my attention and I knew I’d wake up cold and have to run the heater several times through the night. 
Sleeping in the car makes sleeping late a punishment rather than a reward and you pray for daylight. By 6:30 a.m. I was ready to be up. The BP station/convenience store, less than a block away stayed open all night. They treated me well and I noticed the electrical outlets along the wall in their eating section. Fast food places advertise heavily on their free wi-fi but none of them have access to electricity. They don't want you taking up space and time on the internet, so you have to spend battery. I try to save it, never knowing when I'll get to charge it up again. So here I am at the gas station, fueling my metabolic needs as well as gasoline. This a.m., fuel cost $2.15/liter; that’s $8.60/gallon. Coffee was $4 for a 12 oz, (approximate) cup of dark, hot, brown water. I know it’s rude to complain so I’ll chalk this up to a simple observation; nobody brews coffee, anywhere I’ve been since I left San Francisco. I remember the instant coffee we got in Chile; a small packet of powder, stirred into hot water with a plastic stir-stick. I think I’ll just see if I can get hot water from now on. 
I’ll do some searching on line, see if there are good photo opportunities nearby and see if I can make reservations in Whanganui, south of here, for tonight. The thought of streets and highways, putting myself in harm’s way again is not as disturbing as it was yesterday. No new photos yet, my photo for the day is from 2005; Torres Del Paine National Park, Chile. I’m hoping what I photograph today will measure up as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment