Thursday, July 11, 2013

EXIT



I used to work at Exit Glacier, a volunteer at Kenai Fjords Nat’l Park, Seward, Alaska. I got a small stipend and my boss expected me to be at work on time but it’s not kosher to call oneself a Ranger if you are in fact, a volunteer. Volunteers wear a brown uniform with a baseball cap instead of the gray and green with the Smokey Bear hat. It was great duty and the friends I made there have made me rich in that category. 
I’ve been in Alaska over a ;month now and seen most of my Ranger friends, seen bears, moose, orca and eagles; caught fish , fried fish and eaten fish, even bought a sack full of trinkets to take back. Today is my lsat day in Anchorage, tomorrow I’ll be back in Canada with a very long way to drive. Someday, not too long, I’ll be somewhere else thinking again how time flies and it’s time to leave new friends and far places with nowhere to go but home. I know chasing down the road won’t last forever but then, I only have to make it through the day. Then, if I wake up again, I’ll get another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment