Tuesday, June 4, 2013

SASSY YOUNG LADIES




Yesterday I had to wait around Red Deer, Alberta until 9:30 for a Credit Union to open. Dawn Scarff, a financial advisor there, helped me make contact with my Credit Unions in Michigan. Now I can use my ATM & credit cards. She was so helpful I am reminded of the differences between CU’s and banks. But that’s another story, for another day. It had just stopped raining when I went in and the clouds were still threatening. When I came out it was with money in hand and the clouds had rolled back to sunshine and a clear blue sky. 
Once on the highway, my mood dialed up  and I slid in a CD without looking to see what it was. Bob Seger was right in the middle of the chorus; “We were young and strong; we were running, against the wind.” The day was just getting better and better. A little before noon, closing in on Edmonton, it was wide open country. Unlike Interstate rest stops, you might find anything at a Canadian rest area. I wanted to fill a water bottle and stretch so I was pulling in either way. The official building was low profile and camouflaged into to the landscape I didn’t see it: rolled past it to the white, retro diner with a big, red letter sign; Fay’s Diner. 
Inside, very clean, very Spartan: no frills, no foo-foo menu. Burgers, fries and Poutine. Poutine? This is too good; I need to take pictures. So I got my camera out of the truck and began taking pictures. Inside, when the lady behind the counter saw me shooting she wanted to know what I was doing. I told her she asked the wrong question: “I’m an itinerant StoryTeller and this place is a story.” Within two sentences we were making jokes and I had to ask about the Poutine. It was like not knowing about BBQ, in Memphis. “You don’t know what Poutine is?” I had to admit to my ignorance. The Poutine is a big plate of french fries, smothered under lots of rich, dark beef gravy and covered with cheese. OMG . . . Heart Attack. 
Deanna (L) and Sharon (R) were the sassy young ladies behind the counter. Deanna’s husband Val was working too; she wanted me to get a shot of him cleaning tables but he wasn’t having any of that. I got the girls to pose in front of the grill; said I’d feature them in the blog. Deanna asked, “We’re gonna be movie stars?” I said no, that they’re already stars but I don’t do movies. Sharon wanted to know if I was sure I didn’t want a taste of the Poutine. I was sure. But I did have a scoop of the Maple Nut and another of the Cherry Ice Cream. It was hard frozen and my plastic spoon was mismatched for the task. So I ate slow, small bites: my mom would have liked that. 
We got to talking about some crooks who got caught and were on their way to jail. In the end, we decided it’s the crooks who get elected that catch and punish the crooks who didn’t. I missed out on the water bottle but got back on the road, safe and in good time. I was licking my teeth, still tasting the cherry ice cream and the CD had run full circle. Bob Seger was near the end of the song this time; “Against the wind, I’m still running against the wind. I’m older now but still running, against the wind.”
Yesterday was a good day: made it to Grande Prairie, Alberta. I’ll be at Fort Nelson, British Columbia this afternoon. Gasoline is $5.60 a gallon here and will go up significantly when I cross over into B.C. I keep telling myself, “I can afford this: just keep on rolling and smile.”

No comments:

Post a Comment